Bangladesh Slideshow

25 August, 2010

Time Out: A Stay at the Taj Tashi

I recently stayed at the Taj Tashi in Thimphu, Bhutan. It was the ULTIMATE in relaxation! And although I usually write my hotel reviews at TripAdvisor, I felt I just had to write about the Taj Tashi on my blog.

These are the photos I found of the hotel on the internet. It was clear that the building has adopted age-old Bhutanese traditions in its architecture and service. And I started to look forward to my stay.


My first view of the hotel didn't disappoint. It was like walking into a Dzong!


When I walked in through the front door, a maroon-clad Lama came forth to bless me with sprinkles of holy water and rice, offered me a traditional white silk kadha, and knotted a yellow string around my neck for luck, accompanied by the chimes of small metal bells. We were standing under massive cast iron bells hanging from the high lobby ceiling, and looked out into the valley beyond. I felt blessed.


The common areas were very elegantly furnished - always a mix of the traditional and the modern.


The hotel backyard was also very peaceful. There is just something about Bhutan that takes all your worries away.



Luxuriously appointed spacious bedrooms captured the essence of Bhutanese art and architecture in a contemporary setting, and attention was paid to even the minute details.



Hand-painted Budhdhist murals adorned the walls.


And the bathroom was to die for!!!


It had a heated floor!!!!!!! And spa quality toiletries!!


The main restaurant was also serenity personified. Just look at what view it afforded the diners!

Yes, that really is a HUGE prayer wheel. Om-mani-padme-hum!

And the bar-lounge was very trendy.


I lost my beloved camera one morning, and even a massive dose of retail therapy (5 pairs of shoes) didn't help. I needed to get over my loss and heal! The hotel claimed that their signature Jiva Spa experiences are steeped in the ancient Indian, Royal and healing traditions. So I booked the traditional 'hot-stone bath', trying not to wince at what it would cost me! But let me tell you, Dear Readers, it was money very well spent!


And the evening was rounded up with a gourmet in-room meal!


To add to its virtues, the Taj Tashi is located just off Thimphu's main thoroughfare, Norzin Lam, and is a stone's throw from the main sights, offices and shops. A traditional Bhutanese song-dance-music show is staged every evening for the guests. The service is efficiently provided by traditionally dressed young men and women, who always have a smile to offer. What more can one possibly ask?

I must return one winter to sit in the warmth of the bonfire in the backyard. Soon.

3 comments:

Photo Cache said...

I enjoy your blog tremendously. Keep it up.

Prashant said...

its a very amazing place you want to see more amazing places like this so don't worry, tours to bhutan solve your problem.

Sanjana said...

Hello, thank you for sharing such a infomative blog about taj tashi bhutan. I really liked it. I must visit Taj Tashi Bhutan soon. Keep Posting!
Thank you.