Bangladesh Slideshow

10 November, 2008

Journey to Enchanted Lands

I've taken a long leave of absence from my blog (is such a thing possible??!!). But when you hear the reason, I'm sure you'll forgive me.

I've been visiting the shores of the Aegean, Mediterranean and Adriatic Seas. The lands I visited are heir to ancient Greek, Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman Empires. I went to the birthplaces of democracy, higher education, western mythology, philosophy, literature, art, drama and major scientific discoveries.

And on the flip side, does anyone remember this? I think this was mostly a little poem to help with Geography. It's very old, though.

"Greece was slippery, slipped into Italy.
Long-legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily, into the Mediterranean Sea..."

Yes, I was in Greece and Italy. Countries of fascinating contrasts, scenic beauty and rich history. And I was enthralled... enchanted... captivated... spellbound...

"So much I gazed on beauty,
that my vision is replete with it."

(Constantine P. Cavafy, 1917)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Post some details about your trip! And some pics,too...if possible :)